Amer fort or Amber fort of Jaipur is located in Amer, a little away from Jaipur. The fort is located on a small hill and it is the iconic attraction of Jaipur. This fort is famous for architectural beauty, tourist activities and light and sound show.
If you are visiting Jaipur, you ought to visit this fort during your vacation.
Architecture of Amer Fort
The fort was built with marble and sandstone. The palace has four levels and each one has a separate courtyard.
Walk through the Jalebi Chowk staircase to reach the main palace ground or the first courtyard. You can find Sila Devi temple of 16th century, Ganesh Gate, frescoes and the Diwan-i-Aam hall famous for jali work. Apart from Sila Devi temple, you can find numerous temples and a few mosques in this fort.
This courtyard holds the Public Audience Hall, art galleries, sculptures and much more.
This courtyard holds the private halls of the royal families, sculptures, mosaic structures, Mughal garden, Jai Mandir, mirror palace, Hall of pleasure, magic flower, Man Singh palace, Lion Gate, Tripolia gate and others. The garden was used for growing saffron in the past. Today, you can find many flowering plants in the garden.
This is the place for royal women, mistresses and concubines. You can find visiting halls, hall of private audience and many others.
The fort is open from 9 in the morning up to 6 in the evening. Elephant ride is open from 9:30 in the morning up to 1 pm. Everyday two light and sound shows takes place. The English version starts at 7:30 pm and the Hindi version starts at 8 in the evening.
- Entry fee for Indians – INR 50 per head and INR 10 per head for students
- Entry fee for foreigners – INR 550 per head and INR 100 per head for students
- Light and sound show in English – INR 200 per head
- Light and sound show in Hindi – INR 100 per head
- Elephant ride – INR 1,100 per couple
Tourist activities to enjoy in Amer Fort
- Visit to the fort on an elephant or a jeep. The jeep safari is provided by private service providers and the cost varies with season.
- Light and sound show in the evening
- Visit the fort in the night to watch the fort glittering in thousands of lights
- Get a panoramic view of the city from Char Garden.
- Enjoy classic dance shows in Sukh Mahal in evening. Separate tickets have to be procured for the show.
- Enjoy a royal meal at Surabhi Restaurant inside the fort. You can enjoy puppet shows and other folk performances that are performed for the diners.
- Do not forget to visit the turban museum inside the fort.
Best time to visit
In a given day, the best time to visit is afternoon. You will be right in time for elephant tour and after exploring the whole fort, you would have time for enjoy the light and sound show, dance performance, dinner and other activities.
The tourism season starts in October and ends in March. During this season, the climatic condition will be pleasing and at the same time, the gardens inside the fort, will be lush and green.